Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Half Day! ...wait...those don't exist anymore.

Please Note: This is my proposal for my public writing assignment. :]

Last school year, Indiana state superintendent Dr. Tony Bennett eliminated the use of half days and changed the attendance rules across the state of Indiana. Because of this, schools across the state are eliminating parent-teacher conferences, teacher workshops are being offered after school hours without compensation, and two-hour delays are not being used in times when they should be because the school district does not want to make the day up. Waivers to not make up a school day because of "situations beyond the school's control," i.e., a fire, are no longer being issued. I believe that Dr. Bennett was not thinking of some of the consequences of the students and the teachers would have to deal with, such as those already stated. The learning environment would feel much safer if the use of half days were put back into the system.

2 comments:

  1. I hate that new rule, half days were some of the best days of the school year that everyone looked forward to

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would absolutely hate not having half days. They were what I looked forward to every month. I even met two of my best friends on half days. Those poor kids are really gonna miss out.

    ReplyDelete