Sunday, September 13, 2009

9/11 - A Day of Service

On September 11, 2001, a tragic act of terrorism was bestowed upon this country. The twin towers collapsed, the pentagon was crashed into, and many innocent people were killed. America has not been the same ever since. The pride we hold for our country has been uplifted, in a sense. Since this, we have had a sixth sense - patriotism. More people wave their flags and are able to say they are proud to be an American. I have met more and more people willing to go into the armed forces to defend their country in hopes that someday, we will be at peace again.

Photobucket Photobucket


On September 11, 2009, Student Voluntary Services held a day of service. Having to do 50 hours of service for my EDEL 100 class, I figured it would be a good way to get some hours in. From 2:30-5:30, A few people and I volunteered at the Boys and Girls Club. When I signed up, I thought we were going to be working with the children in educating them about 9/11 and how they should be proud to be living in a country like ours. In reality, it turned out we were cleaning out a locker room which they were storing as a storage closet. I was rather disappointed, but it still felt good to help someone else out. The building looked slightly ran down, but it was still definitely usable...it could just use a slight renovation. I think that with a possible renovation there, it would look more cheery for the children and nicer equipment would make the kids more excited to use it. I think that, in the very slim chance I become rich by some miracle, I want to donate it to Boys and Girls Clubs of America.
I hope everyone did something worthwhile to their country this week!
-Emily

1 comment:

  1. I loved volunteering there. I even did one of my post on it. I felt so good volunteering and giving back especially on such a sad day.

    ReplyDelete