I think it all started when I met our new cashier, Jan. We started talking, and I informed her I was one of the students on the Presidential Scholarship. She was proud of my intelligence and proceeded to ask me my major, so I informed her I was majoring in Elementary Education. I was expecting the same response almost everyone else would give me. "You're so much smarter than that!" They would say. "You could do anything else and make so much more money that what you would on a teacher's salary!"
She gave me the normal surprised look, but the words that came out of her mouth were different.
"I would never be able to do that! You are one brave person. I admire you for that. Many people underestimate the influence and impact of teachers." These words made my day. Well, at least I thought they did, until some very special guests came to eat.
About a half hour later, some disabled students came to eat at the Retreat. They needed help getting their food, so I decided to help them. They seemed so grateful to have someone help them with tasks that we normally take for granted. They were polite, caring, and all around good people. It was a pleasure to help them out. I had a genuine smile on my face the whole time, which is very hard to come by from me.
On Wednesday, I did my job as assistant cook, and my happiness from Tuesday carried over, which led to me having a more positive attitude and being more social. When I got off work, I went to get a F'Real! milkshake from the machines. A few people behind me in line was another disabled student. Obviously, there was no way he was going to be able to get his F'Real! drink on his own, so he began to ask for help. I don't believe anyone else would have helped him, and without missing a beat, I began to ask him what flavor and what thickness he wanted. I put it in the machine for him and I asked him a few more questions. I then gave him his caramel frappachino and proceeded with life. I feel really good about helping him out like that.
When I think about these students, I admire them greatly. Despite their physical disability, they are still going to college to pursue their dreams. They are not letting it get the best of them. These people are willing not to confide in other people financially. I have a cousin with spina bifida, and he definitely let it get to him. He dropped out of high school, he drinks, and he confides in other people to take care of him, because he expects people to feel sorry for him.
Helping out these students these last couple of days made me remember all over again why I wanted to teach in the first place, and I couldn't be more thankful.
No comments:
Post a Comment